Sign in to follow this  
Steve Miller

[1835/1836][EN] Titles are hard

Anxious to start his new job, Steve had arrived a bit too early at the Auror Department. He had walked a few circles around the statues in the main lobby, but that had turned awkward quite quickly since people had started staring at him. So now he was standing in the Auror department, not sure of what to do. He had handed in his application some time ago and it was safe to say that he had hit the nail on the head. Why else would he be standing here? Of course they had hired him, he was American and of course vastly superior to his British colleagues-to-be. But why wasn’t anyone welcoming him? He had at least expected some decorations. But of course, these people were British. They didn’t know enthusiasm if it looked them in the eyes.

So… This was the Auror Department? It seemed so… small. It actually seemed like a broomcloset compared to the one in his beloved America. Oh, how he missed Boston. Everything here was so… British? Which was obvious of course, but it was just a bit too British for him, with their tea and their royal family and their other Britishness. He preferred a more American lifestyle. What was so interesting about England anyway? Their history was boring, much like their politics, their food was disgusting and the only thing they drank was hot leaf juice. He hoped they wouldn’t offer him any. Perhaps they’d heard of coffee, which was much more to his liking than grassy water.

“Morning!” He said to no one in particular. He put a smile on his face and started looking around. Perhaps someone could help him? He was their new colleague after all. Perhaps if they’d given him directions, someone to wait for him at a front desk, a welcoming committee perhaps? Even the Pukwudgies at Ilvermorny were more hospitable than these Brits, and Pukwudgies were never really friendly. One could say that those creatures put the spit in hospitable. Steve had never really had a great relationship with the Pukwudgies. One day he  had climbed the statue of one of the founders, he could still feel those blasted darts in his behind. He had only gotten to the founder’s elbow when they’d brought him down with some paralyzing agent. He had cracked a rib during that fall, and only because the Pukwudgies had refused to ask him to get down! He had only been slightly tipsy, there had been no reason for them to attack him!

OOC:
Private
Edited by Steve Miller

There was another auror who felt like the department, the Ministry itself and in fact the entire country was entirely too British and that was Louise. Louisette Deniaud from Paris, France, as she liked to remind people. Well, she did not like to remind people that her name was Louisette, because if it was up to her, she’d banish the name from existence, but the fact that she was French was one of the most important parts of her identity. Especially since she’d moved to England for reasons that now appeared to be stupid. She’d wanted to do it for her father, whom she hadn’t known until a short while ago. Except, her father had turned out to be terrible and was probably not going to want any contact with her or her brother. So now she was stuck.

Luckily the auror department wasn’t so bad. The coffee was terrible and lunch was worse, but the people were mostly hard workers who really seemed to want to make a difference in the world. Not that it wasn’t the same in Paris, of course. You didn’t become an auror for no reason. It wouldn’t even be possible. If you weren’t serious about this, you wouldn’t even get through training. But it did mean that it was a little easier to get used to British life than she thought it. Except of course for the people and the language and the food and the weather and the houses and the atmosphere. And the wine. But apart from that…

Today there was a new colleague and this time he was actually interesting. Not that her colleagues were boring. Well, most of them weren’t. Anyway, the new one was interesting because he was American and Louise had always been fascinated with the country. Of course she was. France was still trapped under the tyranny of a royal family, but the United States had broken free. They had a president. The American people were freer than any country had ever been. It sounded like a magical place. So why leave it? That would be her first question, actually. Because as soon as he arrived, she’d ask him everything that was on her mind. She was an auror. It was only natural to be curious.

And there he was! Louise looked up from her terrible British coffee and immediately went to welcome him. ”Steve?” She asked. ”Miller, right? Bienvenue! I am Louise Deniaud. Is it true you are from the United States?”

Edited by Louise Deniaud

Steve? That was him, he was Steve. He didn’t see any other Steves around. Maybe that was because he didn’t actually know anyone’s names here, but who cared, he was Steve. “That’d be me!” He didn’t know what that ‘bienvenue’ stuff meant though, surely she wasn’t insulting him, right? No, he thought as he looked at her, she wouldn’t dare. She seemed too gentle, she probably wasn’t an auror either. “You must be the head’s assistant!” Because what woman would take it upon herself to work as an auror? That kind of profession was far too dangerous for their frail kind. That was a man’s job. But it was alright, he’d gladly do it to protect people like her.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you!” he said, smiling as he finally placed her accent. French, wasn’t it? He still didn’t know what ‘bienvenue’ meant, but he supposed that he was going to have to find that out in some kind of dictionary. Surely it was something sweet and dainty, just like her. “And yes, I am indeed.” A proud grin appeared on his face, because who wouldn’t be proud of living in the greatest country to have ever existed. “You’re from France, I gather? Have you ever been in the United States?”

Head's assistent. Warning bells. Very loud warning bells. No, all right, she was going to give this man the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this was some kind of American joke she didn't understand. So she just laughed a bit awkwardly. "Aaah, no." She said. "I am your colleague." It better be a joke. There was nothing Louise hated more than a man who underestimated her just because she was a woman. Maybe a rich man who underestimated her because she was a woman. There were no differences between her competence and that of her male colleagues. In fact, some of them were worse at this than her, so if he actually meant this he could take that comment and shove it up his... but she was going to be calm about this. And give him the benefit of the doubt.

"I am French, yes." She said, a little proudly. Because she was proud. France was an amazing country after all. "And ah, no, I have never been to the United States. I would like to someday. It seems like a wonderful country." With a president, not a king. Someone who was chosen by the people. "Tell me about it."

Colleague. Oh, the lady was not a mere assistant, no, she was a colleague. He scraped his throat in discomfort, as if clearing it could suddenly change the reality. Oh, he was not afraid or intimidated, not by the hands of a woman. He only worried for her safety. You see, Being an auror was a dangerous career, something that was only for the best of the best. Women, however, were… well, they weren’t as skilled. A career that could even put the most talented men, such as himself, in peril at times… it just wasn’t suitable for a fragile woman like her. “Ah… you must be a desk agent?” Because that was the only way in which he could imagine a woman working under the auror department, either as an assistant, someone who only did research behind their desk, or perhaps as a coffee or cleaning lady. That he was wrong, and being a sexist dick, didn’t really occur to him. “It is always great to have wonderful persons such as yourself assist us field agents from the office.”

“Ah, France. I’ve never been, but your country sure seems great.” Oh yeah, France had helped The United States in the revolution, although his country could’ve managed on its own just fine, because, at least they didn’t have a king oppressing them anymore. You know, something that France still had. “Oh, it is. It is the land of the free, after all. No more oppressive royal families, a lot less hot leaf juice, and no useless ‘U’s in words like ‘color’ or ‘flavor’.” What was it with the British and their useless extra letters anyway, you couldn’t even hear them.

“Anyways, where do I start? I was hoping I would already be assigned a case to work on.”

Yup. He was one of those. Definitely one of those. Merde. The first time she met an American and he was a terrible man who assumed that she couldn't be a real auror because she...what... lacked the proper vulnerable parts? Sure his description of the "land of the free" sounded lovely. She'd love to live in a country where a king was something that only existed in fairytales. Where something like that could be thought of as archaic and stupid. Because it was. A leader should be chosen by the people, not born. Leaders were never born. She'd seen babies, they were dumb and some of those had actually been kings. She'd rather have an adult she could vote for. Not that she would be able to outside of the magical world. Because muggles were as archaic as kings. 

Louise crossed her arms to her chest. Her expression soured a little. "I am a field agent." She said. "Like you. Do you have a problem with that, hmm?"

Sign in to follow this