Felicia Harding

[1837/1838][EN] How long before we used to be

axTLE3V.png

Tuesday the 29th of May 1838 - in the afternoon - Eric's house in Hogsmeade

"Ah, Esmé," Felicia chirped happily, smiling at Vasilisa's best friend as she was led into the salon. Felicia had, in all honesty, never really understood what had made Vasilisa decide that Esmé was her favourite friend, they weren't exactly the same type of spoiled rich women whose greatest hobbies were to complain about their husbands and be on a permanent diet like most of Lissa's friends, but out of all Lissa's friendships, the one with Esmé was an easier one for Felicia herself to maintain. Esmé was fun and clever and a bit too fond of dogs to make for easy conversation, still entertaining enough.

She also hoped that Esmé wasn't too accustomed to being around children. "You've come a bit at an unfortunate moment, I admit," Felicia sighed, with one of Lissa's beloved pouts, while she gestured towards the cribs in a corner of the salon. "The twins are supposed to be down for a nap, but they're too..." awake, more or less. It wasn't that they were actively crying, but they were cooing towards each other and seemed perfectly content with never sleeping again. And the problem was that Felicia had utterly no idea what to do during those moments, but Lissa would've had the experience. 

Hopeful, she glanced at Esmé. "Tea?" she offered as a tribute.

Private! 

Truth be told, I have no idea as well why Esmé was best friends with Lissa. The only thing the two women had in common was their love for pets, especially dogs. Esmé’s house had turned into a zoo after Eric had forced  his wife to get rid of the dogs. She liked the company though. She loved the animals with all her heart. She kept Lissa up to date every now and then how the pets were doing. Other than that, they didn’t have anything gin common. Esmé had only used Lissa to get close to the Silvershores, because she was interested in them. Lissa, being al vein and brainless, was easy to approach. Long story short; Esmé had become friends with Eric, but still pretended to dislike him in front of his wife, since Lissa wasn’t very fond of him either. The amount of complaining that woman had done in the past was remarkable.

Now Lissa had two baby’s and Esmé could no longer avoid a meeting. It wasn’t that she hated children, she just had no experience with them whatsoever. She had always refused to harm children in any shape or form and had always kept her distance. Children were innocent, they did not deserve to be tortured or murdered. However, because of the lack of experience, the Spanish woman had no clue how to deal with them. Especially with baby’s. They didn’t do anything but sleep and cry. What was their use? Esmé had started to take a liking towards Lissa through the years, but that did not mean she wanted to handle her children. That’s why she hoped the children would be fast asleep.

Of course, with all the luck in the world, the children were anything but asleep. They weren’t crying, it was more like talking in their baby language. It did sound rather cute, better than the crying. Esmé walked towards the cribs and looked inside of them. “Well… they seem to have fun with each other”, Esmé said lightly. She thought. Could babies have fun? “I do not envy you. I am sure you are a great mother”, she smiled. “But I would have no idea what to do with…them”. It, the things, whatever. They were tiny little creatures and rather useless at this stage of life. The woman left the cribs and the cooing behind and gladly accepted Lissa’s offer for tea. “Yes, please. Anything I can help you with?”. As long as it was not babysitting, or anything that involved the babies, Esmé would gladly help her friend with anything.

axTLE3V.png

Oh yeah, sure, Felicia, the best mom in the whole damn world. Okay, at least not the worst one, that title belonged to her mother even if the woman had been laying in the ground for more than a year now, but a great mom was definitely an overstatement. "Well, they seem happy," she laughed pleasantly, and it wasn't entirely a lie. They seemed happy enough. Even a little more happy whenever she was around, which only hurt a little bit at a time when she realized they wanted Lissa

Not the dead Lissa in the basement, though, it was complicated.

"You have siblings, right?" Felicia asked, as she whisked her wand around to magically set some tea for them. "Were you the youngest?" Sometimes she wondered how it would've been for her to grow up with siblings, but it was such an unimaginable thing she didn't waste a lot of time on the what ifs. The tea was quickly finished and she poured them both a cup. 

"I don't think I need anything right now, but I appreciate it!" She smiled at Esmé. "Well, you're always allowed to take them on a walk, whenever you want." 

Siblings. Oh, Esmé had siblings alright. She had three brothers who wanted her dead. Nice, happy family they were. “Yes”, she answered her friend. “I have three older brothers, so that would make me the youngest”. And the only girl. It hadn’t been a fun family life and she wasn’t really willing to talk about it. “But they live in Spain, so I never see them”. Because if she did see them, at least one of them would die. Her brothers were just as skilled as she was, maybe even better. Not that Lissa would ever know about it. Eric did, but he had to know. It was how it had all started and why he had offered her a safehouse to live. Let’s just say that Esmé would have been better off if she had been an only child.

The Spanish woman was happy with the change of subject, though she immediately regretted offering some help. “A walk?”. Babies did not walk. She could take the dogs for a walk, but she could hardly put the babies on a leash and drag them through the park. “Eh.. Well..”. She thought quickly. She was not going to walk with the babies alone. “I could pick up the dogs later today? Then you could bring the children. The weather is nice enough to go for a walk in the park”. And then she would have Lissa with her to deal with babies. And Lissa might like it to see her dogs again.

“So, how is Eric enjoying his new role as father?”, she smirked. Somehow she found it very difficult to picture him as a father figure. Oh, he would protect them with his life, because they were family. They were his heirs. Family and their name meant everything to Eric, being a Silvershore. But seeing him as loving father, playing with his twins, reading them bedtime stories? Esmé chuckled softly at the image in her mind. She would pay good money to see that.