Elena King

[1835/1836][EN] #Friendship

Sunday the 6th of September 1835 - Afternoon - The Library

If Elena had known how much homework there would be, she would never have wanted to go to Hogwarts. Come on! They had only had three days of actual lessons and she already had twice as much homework as she had ever had in Elementary School! How was that okay?!

But oh well, at least she had a friend to make it with. Avis was sitting right next to her, looking a lot more enthusiastic than Elena. And that wouldn't do.

"I think I want to start with potions first," Elena said, pulling the right book from her bag. "It's such an easy subject, the homework doesn't look difficult at all!"

But of course she was the smartest student.

@@Avis Pentaghast

Alysha decided to make her homework in the castles library today. However she loved her classmates in the common room, she really wanted to get over with it. She could think thousands of things she would rather do than her potions homework.

As she walked in see saw two other students sitting at a table. She would like to socialize a bit but in her head she heard her grand mother say: ' you're here to study, you can make friends later'. She took place at a empty table not far from the other students, who he now could identify as a Slytherin and a Ravenclaw. She placed her bag on the table and pulled out her potions book, parchment and a quilt and ink.

Okay Alysha first question: 'what's the official name for the liquid luck potion?'

That's not too hard, and she scribbled down: Felix Fortunatis

Next: 'one of your classmates is petrified by a potion, what do you do?

A walk away and act like you haven't seen anything.

B brew a regeneration option.

With a eyeroll she drew a circle around answer B.

These questions must be a joke, but as she took a look further in the assignment, she took a big breath. This was just the beginning.

It was great, already having three friends she could rely on. Though to be fair, having friends in general was great. It was hard to find friends in Dode. Mostly because all of the people there were her family, but also because there weren’t many children and if there were, they weren’t necessarily her age. And then if they were her age, they didn’t always get along, or they belonged to parents who didn’t like her father, or any other number of reasons why they didn’t end up being friends. But now she did have friend and it had been so, so easy to get them. She only needed to be nice and herself and tell them what she was interested in. And she had to listen when they told her the same. She didn’t agree with them on everything, but that was all right. Because getting friends was easy. All you had to do, was treat people with respect! Why was her father always talking about how she had to only be friends with a select kind of person? Ravenclaws, future colleagues, people from interesting and powerful families... that would make the friend pool significantly smaller, wouldn’t it? Maybe that was why her father always seemed so lonely... Hmm...

It was something she’d need to research. Because everything was something she’d need to research. The entire world was so new. She only knew her village and apparently there was a world of difference between Dode and other places. She wanted to know more about London, where her friend Elena lived. Avis would need to ask her. But first it was time for homework. ”It’s very easy.” She said, nodding. ”I hope it’ll become a bit harder, but I like all the lessons we’ve had so far. All the teachers are nice too. They’re so funny, don’t you think?” Like professor Johnson who always made jokes and who had a sister who seemed just as funny and gave Muggle Studies. Muggle Studies. Wasn’t that the most funny thing? Oh! And one of them was a ghost! She was used to ghosts, Dode had a lot of them and they lived near a graveyard, but this one was French! And he had a job! ”I think we only need to memorize the ingredients list for herbicide potion. Dreadful name, that... Who calls a potion herbicide?”

Avis was supposed to have been impressed with Elena, but instead she kindly said that potions was very easy. Elena tried to keep the smile on her face, but mentally she was stomping her feet. Couldn't she have anything?! She just wanted to be better than her friend and be worshipped! Was that so hard?

Ah, don't talk to Daniella, Elena, stay away from her.

"Oh yes, the teachers are wonderful!" She smiled brightly. "Professor Ryder is so pretty!" Elena wanted to do her hair exactly as professor Ryder did it. "And professor Collingwood looks so adorable!" She didn't want to be like her, but she was very adorable.

"Herbicide…" Elena furrowed her brows. "Sounds like homocide. I wonder if those two are linked?" Unfortunately, she didn't know Greek or Latin or Spanish or whatever language that word was, or she could have bragged about knowing them. Hopefully Avis didn't understand it either. "Let's see… Oh, I'm quite good at memorizing things. It's because of my father."

Because he owned a theatre.

And theatres had actors.

Who had to learn their lines.

Just go with it.

Was professor Ryder pretty? Maybe. She hadn’t really thought about that. Maybe she should pay attention to that a bit more. It wasn’t really right to pay attention to people’s appearances, but her older sisters always made fun of hers, so maybe it was just something a lot of people did. And if a lot of people did it without consequences it was fine, right? As long as she wasn’t mean about it. Professor Ryder probably wouldn’t mind to be called pretty. So that was innocent, Avis decided. Great!

”I think so.” She answered with a nod. ”Because homicide is murder, right?” She thought anyway. People weren’t murdered in Dode as far as she knew. She couldn’t imagine it happening. They were all family, after all. Sometimes people did disappear, but they moved away, they got jobs, they married. Sure, not every Pentaghast was nice, but they wouldn’t do something like that. ”So... herbicide must be... herb murder! No wait, that doesn’t make sense.” She thought about it some more. ”Oooh, it must be a weed killer.” She decided. ”That makes sense, right? I mean, that’s an important potion. Weeds are very dangerous for crops and if a crop doesn’t do well then it could spell disaster for entire villages. She knew that because the farmers in her village were always talking about it. And well, it was common sense, right? Farmers grew food, food was needed. If the crop failed, there wasn’t any food besides animals and those didn’t grow back if you killed them.

”Right! The ingredients. Oh, those look nasty... Two blobs of flobberworm mucus, ew...”

Ja hallo!

So sorry, by the way, for that Dutch start of this post, but I've finally found something that works better in Dutch than in English. Let's cherish this moment in time where Elena inexplicably knew enough Dutch to be able to think that. Because honestly, it was so unfair that Avis was smarter than Elena.

"Right," she said, a smile plastered on her face that wasn't entirely kind, but she tried. Because Avis was her friend, damnit. "Weedkiller. That makes sense." She tried to sound like she had came to that conclusion only half a second after Avis, but it probably wasn't working.

"Ewww." Elena made a face at the ingredients. "I don't think I'll like potions very much. It all seems a bit… disgusting." But it would be easy, she told herself, so that would be fine. After all, you only had to follow the recipe. "And chopped rat tails." She made another disgusted face. "Professor Whitley must be very cruel."

Chopped rat tails... Oh, that was awful. Those poor little rats. Well, she supposed it wasn’t any different than using beef for soup, but still... It did make her feel a little bad. ”What are lionfish spines even?” She wondered out loud. What was a lionfish? It sounded fearsome and interesting. ”Should we look up a book on fish?” She asked Elena enthusiastically. ”If we figure out what a lionfish is, we’ll understand the ingredients better, right?” That was a perfect idea. Elena would surely agree, right? ”I think I know what horklump juice is. Horklumps are little mushrooms. Sort of. Well, they’re animals, but they look like little mushrooms. But lionfish...”

Elena stared at Avis for a moment, trying to figure out if the girl was incredibly smart or… something else. It had never occurred to Elena to find out more information about the ingredients, it sounded more like a waste of time, to be honest, because in the time you could spend researching fish, you could also do homework for your other classes. And figure out how to be perfect again tomorrow.

"Oh, um… do you really think that's necessary?" Elena asked. It was just an ingredient and obviously some kind of fish, what else did they need to know? "But I guess, if you really want to…"

”Oh, I’m certain it’s not necessary.” Avis said, while already standing up and looking at the books on the bookshelves. ”But why would we ever only do what’s necessary when we can just figure out for ourselves what we want to know. Aha!” Her finger rested on a thick purple novel that looked like it hadn’t been touched in years. ”Fish Of The World And Which Ones You Shouldn’t Eat: A Thorough Research.” She read. ”That should work nicely, right? I mean we are making a potion.” She took the book of the shelf, went back to her place and started the leaf through it enthusiastically. ”Let’s see. L... La.. Le... Li...Lionfish! Oh it’s poison.” She thought about it for a while. ”I’m sure it’ll be fine.” She decided. ”What’s next?”

Ehhh, because doing what was only necessary meant you had more time for other things? Plus, it wasn’t as if this was going to get them a higher grade, probably. Maybe if they had to do some extensive research, but they were only first years! With the way half of the class was made of muggles and illiterates, Elena would be surprised if following all instructions wouldn’t get you the highest grade.

But Avis couldn’t be stopped, so Elena just sighed, rolled her eyes and started working on the rest.

”Wow, that was super useful,” she muttered to herself when Avis had finally found the answer. A poison. How strange. ”Dragonsblood,” she said. ”We don’t need to look that up, do we?”

Ah! Dragonblood! How exciting! "I don't think so." Avis said, ready to move on to the next ingredient. But then she stopped herself. "Unless..." She got up quickly and walked to another bookshelf, running her fingers along the spines, sure of what she was looking for, not so sure where she could find it. She walke to another bookshelf. Ah! There it was! She took a monstrously big book from the shelf and blew the gathering dust from the top of the pages. Finally she returned to her spot. "I was thinking, maybe we should figure out if different species of dragons have different magical properties. Otherwise we might make an entirely different potion and that wouldn't be good." Avis opened the book with a bit of difficulty and looked for what she needed. "Ah, here it is." She said. "Dragonblood does have different magical properties! Oh, but it has no effect in potionmaking. Interesting... I wonder why that is..."

I don't think so.

Ha! Good!

Unless…

Noooooooooo. Elena actually had to hid her face in her hands to prevent herself from yelling out loud because for goodness' sake, Avis! This was going to take forever if they did it like that and they had so much more homework to make! She might as well do it herself and try to distract Avis with something.

"Well, I wouldn't know!" she said a bit haughty, dragging the right books to her side of the table and quickly starting to scribble things down. "Why don't you go look it up?" And then she would finish this assignment and they would get an Outstanding.

Or at least an Exceeds Expectactions.

Yes! She should look it up! Elena was right. She immediately went through the pages to see if somewhere was an explanation. But Elena kept writing. "I think we should wait with writing until we know everything." She said with a smile. "Because if we know everything, then we can just start writing and whatever we know will end up on the page!" She nodded enthusiastically. That was probably how writing recipes went, right? It was how she wrote letters, so it was probably the same thing. And as long as all the information was on the page, it would be fine. "Ah, here it is!" She said triumphantly. "Dragon blood does have different magical properties, but the component that has an effect in potions is so strong that it doesn't really matter." Avis frowned. "We better use very little. Maybe there's a substitute..."

That… No! That was not how it worked at all! Elena stared at Avis, who had already turned back to her books. Had the girl no idea how to write essays at all?! They took careful planning and most of all, they didn't take just throwing words at a paper and seeing what sticked. "This is the first draft," Elena said, just a fraction above a biting tone. "We can add or remove things later on." She felt the need to do something with her body, but she couldn't flip a page or anything so audible, so instead she started drumming with her fingers against her leg, just to get some of that frustration out.

"We don't need a substitute. The list said dragon blood, so we're going to use dragon blood."